The Martian Race is organised completely by volunteers and all proceeds are distributed to local charities that are carefully selected by the Woking Lions. Last year over £8,000 was given to local charities. This year we would like to surpass that. When you register for our race you will directly benefit local charities.
The race is held on Horsell Common which is privately owned common land on the western edge of Woking. Almost half of the common is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).
We are very privileged to be able to run on the common and take our environmental responsibilities very seriously. The routes are chosen to respect the flora and fauna that live there and we strive to minimise our impact. Our races are always litter free and this year we have pledged to be free of single-use plastics.
The Woking Lions are part of a 1.7 million strong international organisation dedicated to service in the community. Their main focus is on the raising of funds for local charities.
The Lions Martian Race is brought to you by a fabulous team of volunteers.
- Organising committee: George James, Steve Major, Paul Robinson, Mary Tibbotts
- Race Director: George James
- First Aid: Nigel Longley
- Registration and timing: Jackie Taylor
- Social Media: Mary Tibbotts
- Car parking: Steve Major
- Event village: Paul Robinson
- Medals: Mary Tibbotts
- Marketing: Paul Robinson
- Course manager: Peter Croft
- Permissions: Roger Chamberlain
- Sponsorship: Paul Robinson
- Website: George James
- Budget: George James
- Toilets: Paul Robinson
- Radios: Peter Croft
- Volunteer manager: George James
- VIP manager: Roger Chamberlain